Active Administrator is a complete, integrated and proactive Microsoft® Active Directory® administration solution that fills the management gaps native tools leave behind. From a single console, the solution addresses the most important areas of Active Directory including security and delegation, auditing and alerting, backup and recovery, Group Policy, health and replication, and accounts and configurations. Active Administrator makes it easier and faster than native tools to meet auditing requirements, tighten security, maintain business continuity and increase IT efficiency.
- Consistent and standardized security management
- Active Administrator’s permission template technology, Active Templates, allows you to quickly create and manage sets of permissions to be applied to objects in Active Directory. Unlike the Delegation of Control wizard, any changes made using Active Templates can be repaired or removed. Simple graphical indicators allow you to see where the templates are applied and the status of each.
- Security assessment
- Assess Active Directory security with the ability to see “who has access to what.” The feature provides a hierarchical view of the containers linked to a domain controller, the objects stored within those containers and all associated permissions, including permissions applied with Active Templates. Quickly identify security issue by filtering for inheritance and viewing group membership.
- Object and permission security search
- You can find AD objects and their associated permissions quickly with Quick Search. You can find AD objects or find permissions associated with a particular AD object, with filtering in the search by accounts, access types, generic rights and more. You can also search for an AD object and take action from the same screen.
- Audit view of configuration changes
- Within seconds see “before” and “after” values of configurations to determine what changed, who changed it, when it was changed and from which workstation. The audit filter allows you to filter in the search, segmenting data by date/time range, acting user, event type and more. The easily accessible view gives you the ability to find what you need, quickly.
- Customizable audit reports
- The reporting feature allows you to save, organize and export audit data into an easily accessible format. Active Administrator includes a number of out-of-the-box reports, but you can also customize reports to include criteria such as event type, acting user, date/time and more. Customizable audit reports provide the ability to provide auditors and internal stakeholders with the information they need.
- Proactive change alerts and notifications
- Receive automated alerts whenever a predefined change event occurs, allowing you to quickly take action. It also provides a history of alerts that were activated, allowing you to track which alerts occur most frequently. Creating an alert is as simple as selecting an event definition and populating an email address. You can also configure alert quiet times, thresholds and filters.
- Offline Group Policy Object editing
- Offline GPO editing provides the ability to make a copy of the GPO that you can edit and test in an offline repository, without interfering with the normal operation of Active Directory. When editing is complete, you can publish the changed GPO in a single operation. The offline environment offers a secure and risk-free approach to GPO editing and testing.
- Group Policy Object comparison reports
- Comparison reporting allows you to see the differences between two historical versions of a GPO to identify what changes were made between two different points in time. See what was changed, added or removed, along with a statistical summary of variances. Comparison reports make GPO editing more efficient.
- Group Policy Object modeling
- “What if” modeling mitigates the risk of pushing a Group Policy to your production environment by projecting how changes will affect a GPO. You can get an exact picture of how your actions will affect Group Policies by testing how the removal of objects from OUs, sites and security groups will affect application and errors on remote machines.
- Automated backup of Active Directory objects
- Simplify daily backups by automatically backing up Active Directory objects. You can schedule backups to run once or twice a day, at a time you specify. This flexibility removes the human error that often occurs with manual backups.
- Object, attribute and security recovery
- Quickly recover entire AD objects, individual attributes or even just permissions. Within seconds you can recover any element of an Active Directory object from an archive you choose. Granular recovery supplements tape backups and ensures business continuity when unwanted changes occur.
- Inactive account management
- Active Administrator provides you with an automated way to remove dormant users and computers that would otherwise bloat your Active Directory. You can report on inactive accounts, remove inactive accounts, view a history of inactive accounts and preview all accounts that will expire by a user-defined threshold. You can also configure daily email notifications of pending account expirations.
- User activity dashboard
- The user activity dashboard provides a quick look into Active Directory activity. You can monitor events such as created accounts, disabled users and more. You can also control the duration of the activity and look at multiple domains. The dashboard also includes a count of domain computers, users and groups of various scopes.
- Replication analyzer
- Active Administrator can analyze whether replication of a server or forest is possible. Errors are displayed with graphical indicators.
- Active Directory health assessment reports
- Assessment reports help you understand the health of your AD environment. The forest configuration report contains information about the forests, sites, domains and trusts. The replication health and status report contains information about the replication status for each domain controller, as well as any errors that occurred during the replication process. You can schedule the reports.
- Domain controller management and monitoring
- The DC Management Module enables you to select the specific domain controller through which all operations will be performed, manage its services, and monitor its status, performance metrics, and event logs to identify potential issues or trends before they become critical. Also, through the Domain Controller tool bar, you can easily add or remove domain controllers, switch to another domain controller, connect through remote desktop, and reboot the domain controller.
- Quick Tasks
- Quick Tasks are widgets to quickly perform six of the most common AD administrator tasks: Initiate a search for an Active Directory object, perform four different operations against user accounts (enable/disable, reset password, unlock, or add/remove from a group), or reset a computer account.
Download free trial to see the full list of system requirements.