Improve backup performance without adding complexity
Reduce the complexity of backing up your critical data stores with the Dell DR4100, a purpose-built, backup-to-disk appliance that leverages advanced deduplication and compression technology to significantly reduce the amount of data that needs to be stored. Unlike legacy disaster recovery strategies, the DR4100 supports both Dell and third-party backup applications, and includes all necessary licenses for replication and ingest protocol acceleration (Symantec OST, RDA) in the base price.
This 2U, rack-based system is available in raw capacities of 2.7, 5.4, 9, 18 and 27 TB configurations and is designed for medium enterprises and remote site protection. Its capability to add up to two DR4100 expansion shelves in 9, 18, and 27 TB capacities, for a total footprint of 1.2PB logical capacity, ensures flexible deployment options for medium enterprises.
The DR4100 provides inline deduplication and compression and includes DR Rapid: Dell’s API plug-in technologies which improve the source deduplication ingest performance using OST or Rapid Data Access (RDA).
- Simple to deploy and manage – This purpose-built backup solution is simple to install, deploy, and manage.
- Increased cost savings – All-inclusive licensing reduces acquisition costs, while compression and deduplication technology significantly reduces data backup storage requirements up to 93 percent and replication bandwidth requirements by 15 times.
- Better value — The DR4100 can reduce backup storage costs to as little as $0.17/Gb. The license fee includes replication and backup ingest protocol accelerators (OST, RDA) and maintenance support for three years.
- Choice of source or target deduplication – RDA (part of Dell’s DR Rapid technology plug-ins) comes standard with the DR4100 to give you a choice of performing deduplication at the media server or backup server to increase the ingest performance rate. Moreover, in-line variable block technology helps optimize backup data reduction.
- Powerful performance – With ingest speeds up to 7.5 TB/hour (using RDA and NetVault Backup), you can easily meet your backup window and recovery time objectives.
- Easy addition to existing backup and disaster recovery workflow – The appliance supports leading backup applications, including NetVault Backup and vRanger from Dell Software, as well as solutions from CommVault and Symantec.
- Reduced dependence on tape backups – Minimize tape backup dependency by creating a central DR4100 repository for backups and then send backup archives to tape.
- Ability to maintain data online on disk longer – The DR4100 enables you to maintain your backup data on disk longer, enabling fast and accurate restores as needed.
- Superb scalability – Add more storage capacity on the fly and scale to support 1.2 PB logical capacity with RAID 6 storage.
- Advanced data protection – Experience automated and continuous data verification when writing to disk to ensure data recoverability.
- Optimized replication – Enhance disaster recovery with bi-directional, many-to-one replication.
DR4100 Backup Appliance
Redundant OS storage on dedicated disks
NFS, CIFS, OST, RDA
6-port 1GbE (base-T), 2-port 10GbE (base-T)
iDRAC 7 Enterprise
2U RAC-mountable chassis or 29.72” (75.5cm) D x 18.99” (48.24cm) W x 3.44” (8.73cm) H
32.5kg, (71.5lbs.), maximum configuration
Available in 5 configurations:
750 W (redundant power supply)
100 VAC to 240 VAC, auto ranging, 50Hz to 60Hz
2891 BTU/hr (maximum)
Maximum throughput (OST)
User console shows capacity, storage savings and throughput.
DR4100 storage dashboard
Monitor storage in the appliance, including containers and files, with deduplication.
DR4100 configuration screen
Summary of the network, active directory and administration information.
Set up the replication schedules by container for each day of your work period.
Manage multiple physical and virtual DR Series appliances from one web-based console.
Establish schedule for removal of older backup data.
DR4100 front view
Built on the Dell R720 PowerEdge server in a 2U form factor.
DR4100 without front bezel
Twelve NL SAS drives hold the deduplicated and compressed backup data.