SQL Server monitoring that’s continuous, web-based and scalable
Easily optimize SQL Server database performance.
Ensure optimal database performance with non-stop data collection and instant metric-sensitive alerts. Speed through your work with intuitive interfaces, built-in expert guidance and easy-to-follow workflows. Get an enterprise-level view of database health and automated performance analysis to quickly identify and fix problem servers and resource areas. Maximize database performance and availability with this robust SQL Server monitoring tool. And with its new SQL Performance Investigator (SQL-PI) functionality, you get a highly scalable and easily configurable SQL workload analytics engine. SQL-PI collects and investigates data on baselines, lock analysis and change tracking. It also offers multidimensional drilldowns and historical session data investigations. With SQL-PI’s sophisticated, yet simple-to-use, web-based UI, you can quickly access all the information you need to improve SQL Server performance.
SQL Performance Investigator:
- Multidimensional SQL workload drilldowns – Drill into the datacube to easily investigate database workload. View every dimension of your data, including users, programs, SQL and sessions.
- Historical lock analysis – Resolve SQL Server concurrency issues in record time with historical reviews of blocking-lock scenarios. The lock analysis is part of the dimensional drilldown workflow, simplifying lock investigations.
- Automated change tracking – Find out when changes to server, instance, database and schema environments occur, as well as application SQL degradations. Offers custom change alerts.
- Compare – Identify root causes and symptoms of performance deviations in application environments quickly and easily.
- Statement-level wait-event analysis – View wait-event data down to the statement level to rapidly resolve resource-related performance problems.
Global view – See all your databases from one dashboard. In a single click, you can access detailed insight into one specific database.
- Download-and-go architecture – Take advantage of quick, easy, wizard-driven installation to start monitoring your databases within minutes. Seamlessly integrate Foglight for SQL Server with other end-to-end enterprise monitors.
- Integrated reporting – Receive targeted, built-in reports. With easy-to-use wizards, you can define, customize, generate, schedule and deliver reports on system health, performance, trends, changes and a variety of other topics and data points.
- Built-in intelligence – Understand the health and activity of your SQL Server enterprise with management and performance views and pop-up advice with correlated workflows.
- Custom performance counters – Resolve performance issues proactively by tracking service-level-specific processes as if they were metric counters.
- Adaptive baselines – Track performance using automatic detection and calculation of normal ranges for all metrics, and receive alerts about deviations from normal activity.
- Virtual and physical host monitoring – Get the relevant OS metrics for your SQL Servers, whether it is running in a virtual or physical environment.
- Automatic instance discovery – Deploy Foglight capabilities with automatic instance discovery or specific hosts. Manually add instances as needed.
- Historical data – Use fast and simple navigation to resolve recent performance issues from any drilldown screen.
- Enterprise configuration management – Centralize administration and configuration, plus customize individual connections.
- Alarm workflow – Manage and annotate alarms, set up blackouts and search for past solutions.
- Wait-state analysis – Determine where waits are occurring and what is causing the event.
- Drag-and-drop reporting – Customize views and generate reports using the data collected by Foglight.
- Free Foglight for SQL Azure® add-on cartridge – View Azure-specific metrics and receive helpful insight to rapidly diagnose and resolve database issues. See how much a SQL Azure instance would cost and ensure a successful deployment. Easily monitor and manage Azure performance.
Before installing Foglight for SQL Server, ensure that your system meets the hardware and software requirements detailed in Foglight System Requirements and Platform Support Guide. Customers running large deployments (above 50 instances) should consult with the Foglight for SQL Server sizing assistant.
Foglight for SQL Server requires WMI access for monitoring Windows Operating system metrics on the various SQL Server dashboards. Ensure that the WMI and Remote Registry services are started prior to creating the agents and throughout the monitoring process. Firewall usage requires taking further steps to ensure connection to WMI, as detailed in the known issues section under Connection to WMI.
The operating system platforms and SQL Server versions supported by the Foglight for SQL Server agent on Foglight 5.5.2 are shown below:
Supported Web Browsers
The Foglight user interface works with standards-compliant web browsers. The following table lists the web browsers that have been tested and validated for use with this release of Foglight.
|Browser Type/version||Validated on|
|Internet Explorer® 8, 9, and 10 (desktop environments only)||Latest patch update available at April 2014|
|Internet Explorer 11 (desktop and touch environments)||Latest patch update available at April 2014|
|Safari® (Mac® OS X Lion or Mountain Lion)||6.1.3|
|Safari(Mac OS X Mavericks)||7.0.3|
|Safari(iOS for iPad)||7.0.4|
|Operating System||SQL Server Version|
|Windows® 2003(32-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2|
|Windows® 2008(32-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012|
|Windows 2003 (64-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2|
|Windows 2008 (64-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2|
|Windows 2008R2 (64-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014|
|Windows 2012 (64-bit)||SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014|
|Windows 2012R2 (64-bit)||SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014|
|Windows 8 (64-bit)||SQL 2008, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014|
- US English
See the health and performance of all your database servers in a single view.
Home Page Overview
View instance, historical performance, real-time data, CPU, memory and VM metrics.
See history of agent status alarms and identify recurring performance issues.
SQL-PI: top databases
View database workload and drill down to investigate issues from any angle.
SQL-PI: top SQL
Investigate workload by drilling into top SQL then go deeper into data.
SQL-PI: locked objects
Quickly find the cause of database locking and see who it’s impacting.
Comparison reports reveal degradation and changes in performance.
VMware ESX metrics
View data on your virtual environment and storage to resolve issues.