SQL Server monitoring that’s continuous, web-based and scalable
Easily optimize SQL Server database performance.
Ensure optimal database performance with non-stop data collection and instant metric-sensitive alerts. Speed through your work with intuitive interfaces, built-in expert guidance and easy-to-follow workflows. Get an enterprise-level view of database health and automated performance analysis to quickly identify and fix problem servers and resource areas. Maximize database performance and availability with this robust SQL Server monitoring tool.
- Global view – Resolve performance issues faster with instance alerts that allow you to take immediate action on SQL servers and other platforms.
- Built-in intelligence – Get management and performance views, pop-up advice with correlated workflows, built-in links to Foglight Performance Analysis for SQL Server and context-sensitive links to SQLServerPedia and Dell Software's SQL Server Community Forum. Understand the health and activity of your SQL server enterprise.
- Custom performance counters – Handle performance issues proactively. Track service-level specific processes as if they were metric counters.
- Adaptive baselines – Receive alerts about deviations from normal activity, and track performance using automatic detection and calculation of normal ranges for all metrics.
- Automatic instance discovery – Use automatic instance discovery or specific hosts to deploy Foglight capabilities rapidly and painlessly. Manually add instances, as needed.
- Historical data – Resolve performance issues by navigating through diagnostics and alarm data from any drill-down screen.
- Enterprise configuration management – Customize individual connections, and centralize administration and configuration.
- Alarm workflow – Search for past solutions, set up blackouts and manage and annotate your alarms.
- Easy integration – Integrate your other end-to-end enterprise monitors seamlessly with this SQL server monitoring tool.
- Wait-state analysis – Determine the location and cause of waits by diagnosing your wait statistics.
- Wizard-driven installation – Easily add SQL monitoring to your existing infrastructure, or configure Foglight as a standalone solution with this powerful wizard.
- Drag-and-drop reporting – Use the data collected by Foglight to develop customized views and reports.
- Foglight for SQL Azure Cartridge – Rapidly diagnose and resolve database issues with this free add-on that enables you to view Azure-specific metrics. Easily monitor and manage Azure performance, determine the cost of a SQL Azure instance and ensure a successful deployment.
Before installing Foglight for SQL Server, ensure that your system meets the hardware and software requirements detailed in Foglight System Requirements and Platform Support Guide. Customers running large deployments (above 50 instances) should consult with the Foglight for SQL Server sizing assistant.
Foglight for SQL Server requires WMI access for monitoring Windows Operating system metrics on the various SQL Server dashboards. Ensure that the WMI and Remote Registry services are started prior to creating the agents and throughout the monitoring process. Firewall usage requires taking further steps to ensure connection to WMI, as detailed in the known issues section under Connection to WMI.
The operating system platforms and SQL Server versions supported by the Foglight for SQL Server agent on Foglight 5.5.2 are shown below:
|Operating System||SQL Server Version|
|Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 (32-bit), 2012||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
|Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 (64-bit Opteron and Xeon)||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
|Windows 2003 (Itanium)||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
Supported Web Browsers
The following table lists the Web browsers that have been tested and validated for use with Foglight 5.6.3.
|Browser Type||Version / Patch Level Validated|
|Internet Explorer 6 (see “Final Support Notice”)||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 7||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 8||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 9||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Safari 5 (Mac OS X only)||5.1.3|
- US English
See the operational health and performance of all database servers, regardless of platform, from a single view. Gain enterprise-level insight into your database environments. Foglight unifies all your databases in a centralized console to deliver consistent data and reports; this significantly increases administrative efficiency.
Home Page Overview
In a single view, you can see real-time and historical performance at a glance.
Drill into a single SQL Server instance to monitor performance in real time.
Easily create customized dashboards and reports through a simple “drag and drop” interface. Extend visibility of database health and metric data to other areas of the business, including executive management, application development, storage administrators, etc. Most monitoring solutions require end users to view data in a specific, vendor-supplied mechanism. Foglight offers extensive dashboard and report customization that allows each customer to view real-time and historical data according to their unique requirements.
Virtual Overhead Metric for VMware ESX
For those running SQL Server in VMWare ESX, get visibility into performance issues related to CPU and memory.
Performance – SQL
At a glance, get visibility into all the T-SQL running in your environment to pinpoint troublesome queries and poor performing applications.
The new Alarms dialogue allows you to see the history of your agent status alarms and drill into details to identify recurring performance issues.
Drilldowns New–Sessions (SQL Server)
Drill into a platform-specific Quick View Card for more detail, without leaving the global summary. Quickly investigate high-level database health, without launching separate, disconnected consoles. Speed problem-resolution time by monitoring and diagnosing issues from a single web-based user interface.