Get the most out of your virtualized data center, despite configuration options and demanding workloads. Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition helps you easily assess virtual machine (VM) performance and health, as well as monitor capacity. This virtualization freeware suite is comprised of six utilities that provide virtualization administrators with 360-degree visibility into heterogeneous virtualized environments. Simplify performance analysis on VMWare, Hyper-V, and Red Hat virtualization platforms and get insight into optimized VM Performance, orphaned snapshots, storage latency, memory limits, VM sizing and impact of infrastructure changes.
- Integrated free tool suite
- Get six valuable utilities for monitoring your virtual environment for free — all in one easy download, install and GUI. Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition combines these free utilities into one suite:
- Snapshot Explorer
- Storage Explorer
- Change Explorer
- Environment Explorer
- vScope Explorer
- SearchMyVM Explorer
- Intuitive virtualization performance monitoring
- Access an environment-wide, cross-hypervisor visualization of the status of your infrastructure. The vScope Explorer utility immediately identifies VMs, hosts, and datastores that are experiencing issues with performance, capacity, and efficiency. Two different views are provided in the form of heat maps, one from a VM-focused perspective, and one from a host-focused perspective.
- Diagnostic storage performance monitoring
- See the top 10 objects for performance and capacity details of the datastores and virtual machines in the environment within the last 24 hours. The Storage Explorer utility displays datastore and VM issues such as low capacity, high latency, and low available disk space. Easy-to-read, color indicators highlight potential issues — red indicates serious capacity or performance problems, while yellow indicates a less severe or imminent issue.
- Streamlined snapshot detection
- Get a comprehensive list of VM snapshot files. The Snapshot Explorer utility outlines snapshot age, size, and a count of the snapshots that can be found on a specific VM. You can filter snapshots by age, size, count, VM name or utilize multiple filters, such as greater than 14 days and greater than 10 GB. This insight allows you to determine which snapshots to remove and helps you free up resources.
- Comprehensive change tracking and audit trails
- Track changes that occurred to datacenters, clusters, resource pools, hosts, virtual machines, and datastores within the previous seven days with the Change Explorer utility. Easily view the potential risk of performance impact, the time of the change, the object on which the change occurred, before and after values, the user who made the change, and the full path to the changed object.
- Insightful capacity and efficiency analysis
- Gain an understanding of potential issues in your environment from a single, intuitive dashboard. The Environment Explorer utility provides high-level analysis of:
- Heterogeneous virtual environments (summary view)
- Inefficiency and waste
- Advanced search functionality
- Enable an environment-wide, cross-hypervisor search tool for your virtual infrastructure. With the SearchMyVM Explorer utility, you can search through your virtual machines, resource pools, hosts, or clusters. Easily find all objects of the selected type (Virtual machine, Host, Cluster, or Resource pool) that contain the case insensitive characters entered in the search box or create a more complex search query that contains multiple rules.
The following are required to install Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition:
- 2 vCPUs
- 4 GB of memory
- 64 GB of storage space
- VMware ESX 3.0 or vCenter 2.5 or higher
- Microsoft SCOm 2007 R2 or higher + SCVMM 2008 R2 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager 3.0 or higher