SQL Server management tool that provides monitoring, diagnostics and analysis
Monitor SQL Server environment health, accelerate problem resolution and deliver targeted custom reports.
Maximize your database resources with this powerful SQL Server management tool. Manage the health of your SQL environment, accelerate problem resolution, simplify workload trend analysis and generate customized reports – all from an easy-to-use web console. Resolve issues before they impact users, and extend the capabilities of basic database monitoring tools. Plus, greatly diminish the risks associated with database vulnerability, performance bottlenecks, upgrades, patches and more.
- Global view – Resolve performance issues on SQL Servers (physical, virtual, and Azure) and other platforms by determining your most critical issues with instance alerts and taking immediate action.
- Adaptive baselines – Get alerts about deviations from normal activity, and track performance using automatic detection and calculation of normal ranges for all metrics.
- Problem resolution – Speed time to resolution, and remove the guesswork of interpreting raw data by following built-in workflows. Plus, receive intelligent warning alerts based on deviations from normal activity.
- Trend analysis – Detect significant patterns in resource usage, plus identify and resolve degrading performance conditions.
- Performance assurance – Minimize risk when upgrading your database or deploying new applications in production, and facilitate top performance for your post-change environment.
- Built-in intelligence – Receive integrated management and performance views (as well as pop-up advice with correlated workflows) that allow you to understand the health and activity of your SQL Server enterprise. Also get context-sensitive links to SQLServerPedia and Dell Software's SQL Server Community Forum.
- Wizard-driven installation – Easily add SQL Server monitoring to your existing infrastructure with this powerful wizard, or configure Foglight as a standalone solution.
- Automatic instance discovery – Use automatic instance discovery or specific hosts to deploy Foglight capabilities rapidly and painlessly. Manually add instances, as needed.
- Alarm workflow – Search for past solutions, set up blackouts and manage and annotate your alarms.
- Rich historical data – Resolve performance issues by navigating through diagnostics and alarm data from any drill-down screen.
- Integrated reporting – Define, customize, generate, schedule and deliver targeted, built-in reports on a variety of topics and data points – such as system health, performance, trends and changes.
- Wait-state analysis – Determine the location and cause of waits by diagnosing your wait statistics.
- StealthCollect® – Reduce overhead when executing direct T-SQL against production, or running a trace with deep Transact SQL-level collection and analysis.
- Performance advisories – Maximize performance with built-in analytics and business intelligence that reviews workload data and produces customized reports.
- QuickCompare – Swiftly determine the causes and symptoms of performance deviations in application environments, and take immediate action.
- Long-term performance repository – Benefit from dimensional analysis, as well as unlimited performance and environment data storage.
- Automated change tracking – Get alerts about changes to server, instance, database and schema environments, as well as application SQL degradations.
- Easy integration – Seamlessly integrate your other end-to-end enterprise monitors with this SQL Server management tool.
Foglight Performance Suite for SQL Server is comprised of Foglight for SQL Server and Foglight Performance Analysis for SQL Server.
Before installing Foglight for SQL Server, ensure that your system meets the hardware and software requirements detailed in Foglight System Requirements and Platform Support Guide. Customers running large deployments (above 50 instances) should consult with the Foglight for SQL Server sizing assistant.
Foglight for SQL Server requires WMI access for monitoring Windows Operating system metrics on the various SQL Server dashboards. Ensure that the WMI and Remote Registry services are started prior to creating the agents and throughout the monitoring process. Firewall usage requires taking further steps to ensure connection to WMI, as detailed in the known issues section under Connection to WMI.
The operating system platforms and SQL Server versions supported by the Foglight for SQL Server agent on Foglight 5.5.2 are shown below:
|Operating System||SQL Server Version|
|Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 (32-bit), 2012||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
|Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 (64-bit Opteron and Xeon)||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
|Windows 2003 (Itanium)||SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008,SQL 2012|
Supported Web Browsers
The following table lists the Web browsers that have been tested and validated for use with Foglight 5.6.3.
|Browser Type||Version / Patch Level Validated|
|Internet Explorer 6 (see “Final Support Notice”)||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 7||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 8||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Internet Explorer 9||Latest patch update available at February 2012|
|Safari 5 (Mac OS X only)||5.1.3|
- US English
See the operational health and performance of all database servers, regardless of platform, from a single view. Gain enterprise-level insight into your database environments. Foglight unifies all your databases in a centralized console to deliver consistent data and reports; this significantly increases administrative efficiency.
Home Pages New-Overview (SQL Server)
Email integration, Help Desk integration for workflow actions.
Drill into a single SQL Server instance to monitor performance in real time.
Easily create customized dashboards and reports through a simple “drag and drop” interface. Extend visibility of database health and metric data to other areas of the business, including executive management, application development, storage administrators, etc. Most monitoring solutions require end users to view data in a specific, vendor-supplied mechanism. Foglight offers extensive dashboard and report customization that allows each customer to view real-time and historical data according to their unique requirements.
Performance - SQL
At a glance, get visibility into all the T-SQL running in your environment to pinpoint troublesome queries and poor performing applications.
The new Alarms dialogue allows you to see the history of your agent status alarms and drill into details to identify recurring performance issues.
Drilldowns New-Sessions (SQL Server)
Drill into a platform-specific Quick View Card for more detail, without leaving the global summary. Quickly investigate high-level database health, without launching separate, disconnected consoles. Speed problem-resolution time by monitoring and diagnosing issues from a single web-based user interface.
History - Summary
Identify SQL Server instance workload, including information on which resources are being used, information on Windows host health, and baseline indicators to identify if the activity displayed is normal for the time period.
SQL Server History - Breakdown
Provides SQL Trace-like granularity without the associated overhead or impact to the SQL workload..
New-PA History Workload Overview SQL Server
Offers built-in business intelligence without the need to build or maintain data cubes. With correlated baseline information to identify normal instance activity and in-context advisory indicators DBAs can find the root cause of performance issues and resolve them with ease..