Microsoft Exchange and unified communications solution that simplifies reporting
Reduce the complexity of email reporting and analysis across legacy and newly implemented platforms.
Reduce the complexity of email and unified Microsoft Exchange reporting and analysis. This solution works across legacy Microsoft Exchange Server and newly implemented platforms, including on-premises Exchange, Office 365 and Lync Server.
MessageStats helps you:
- Prepare for Exchange migrations
- Leverage email data mining to extract business value
- Determine Lync usage
- Enhance operational efficiency
- Achieve top messaging performance
- Defend service level agreements (SLAs)
- Adhere to compliance demands
- Reach security and business goals
The new Business Insights component enhances and defends your organization with sophisticated messaging intelligence that’s easy to understand. It provides both IT staff members and business users with what they need to meet their objectives.
- Broad intelligence – Collect intelligence about your entire messaging infrastructure, including Microsoft Exchange, BlackBerry, Lync Server (and predecessor OCS), Outlook Web App, Windows Mobile, Microsoft Online (Office 365), Sendmail/Postfix and Archive Manager
- Platform data and reporting – Gather usage data about platforms (such as Lync Server) to determine if you’re fully utilizing the technology – and help maximize your ROI. Plus, easily create usage reports for billing and chargebacks.
- Message-mining intelligence – Retrieve data regarding trends and other critical information that’s trapped in your message system. Transform this data into intelligence that improves and protects your organization.
- Faster migrations – Identify areas for housecleaning before your migration to make your move faster and less costly. Plus, gather vital data that can assist with planning for your new environment.
- Defend SLAs – Create both summaries and detailed data reports on delivery times, resource usage, capacity, storage, quotas, audited mailboxes/domains, distribution lists, public folders and more so you can demonstrate to management that SLAs are attained
- Audit, comply, secure – Create regulation-specific and internal control reports to accelerate audits, and provide appropriate access to business managers, administrators, legal and human resources staff.
- Track and forecast storage growth – Plan for future upgrades by taking an inventory of the current environment.
- Customizable composite dashboards – Generate composite reports from a library of more than 400 MessageStats parts
- Quick deployments – Experience no-risk, no-impact operations with easy installations and deployments, even in large, distributed environments (no client install needed).
- Automatic report distribution – Send reports to mobile devices, websites, FTP locations and network shares on a daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly basis.
Before installing MessageStats, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements. The system requirements are divided into two sections:
- Requirements for the core MessageStats components.
- Requirements for Microsoft Exchange.
MessageStats Core Requirements
Before installing MessageStats, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements for the core MessageStats components:
|MessageStats Minimum Hardware Requirements|
|Processor||Pentium 4, running at a minimum speed of 2.4 GHz|
|Hard Disk Space||250 MB of free disk space for installing the application. |
|Other||Sufficient space for the temporary tracking log cache, application logs, and task documents. The size of this cache depends on the number of servers, the number of tracking logs on each server, and the size of each tracking log. The space should exist on a local disk drive rather than a network drive. |
|MessageStats Minimum Software Requirements|
|Operating System||One of the following: |
|MessageStats Database Server||One of the following: |
Note: SQL Server Agent must be running to use the Database Management tasks: database reindexing, defragmenting, or database aging. SQL Express does not include the SQL Server Agent. Database Maintenance tasks are not available when running on SQL Express.
|MMC Console||For SQL Server 2008, SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO) must be installed on the server that hosts the MessageStats MMC console. |
The SQL-DMO component is part of the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility package. You can download the SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility package from the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or the SQL Server 2008 Feature Packs: SQL Server 2005 Feature Pack (December 2008) and SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack (August 2008).
SQL 2005 Client Tools
For SQL Server 2005, SQL 2005 Client Tools are needed for the MessageStats Database Management feature to function in a distributed installation environment.
|MessageStats Reports Server||IIS 6.0 or later.|
For Windows Server 2008, IIS 7.0 is required. There are also certain IIS role services that must be enabled. See the section titled "IIS Role Services on Windows Server 2008" in the MessageStats Quick Start Guide for more information.
|.NET||Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. For information about resolving common ASP.NET configuration problems, see “Appendix A: Microsoft ASP.NET Configuration Issues” in the MessageStats Administrator Guide. |
Note: If you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 installed, you must also have .NET 3.5 installed side-by-side.
|Browser||Internet Explorer 7.0 or later.|
|Documentation||Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher is required to access the Administrator Guide, Reports User Guide, and Quick Start Guide PDF documents.|
Exchange-Specific Requirements for MessageStats Components
The following requirements must be met to use MessageStats in a Microsoft Exchange environment. You must install the prerequisites on the server which hosts the specified MessageStats component:
|Microsoft Exchange Minimum Requirements|
Task Execution Server
For Exchange 2003 and earlier, MAPI is available with Microsoft Exchange Systems Manager (ESM) 2000 Service Pack 3 or Exchange Systems Manager (ESM) 2003 Service Pack 2.
Note: Configuring an SSL certificate on your Exchange 2013 CAS (proxy) server is part of the normal setup that is required for the Outlook 2013 client. For more information, see the Microsoft Exchange 2013 documentation for configuring mail flow and client access.
If you already have a version of the MAPI Download installed, you must remove it before installing the new version. The Microsoft MAPI installer does not upgrade, nor does it warn you if you try to install MAPI & CDO without removing the previous version.
Microsoft PowerShell 2.0
For Exchange 2010 or 2013, you must also install Microsoft PowerShell 2.0 on the servers that host the MessageStats task processors.
You can download the Windows Management Framework (which includes PowerShell 2.0) from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929.
|Reports Client||To see the presence status information in Exchange mailbox-specific reports, the person viewing the reports must have Office Communicator 2005 or later installed, configured, and running. Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or later must be installed. |
The Exchange organization must have Microsoft Live Communication Server 2005 or later configured and running.
|Exchange Server Versions|
Must have tracking logs enabled and the tracking log folder shared.
Exchange Server Configuration
For information about any configuration that must be done on the Exchange server to allow MessageStats to gather information from it (such as sharing the tracking log folder), see the MessageStats Quick Start Guide.
MessageStats - At a Glance Dashboards
Keep control of your environment and create a custom view from a library of more than 400 MessageStats parts.
MessageStats - OWA Logons by User Account
Increase visibility of system security with reports on unsuccessful attempts to access mailboxes using OWA.
MessageStats - Delivery Times
Measure reliability, service levels and where system upgrades will have the biggest impact.
MessageStats - Inactive Users
Keep your environment running smoothly with daily maintenance.
MessageStats - Activity Summaries
Better plan for capacity and budget requirements with usage reports like the Server Activity Summary.