NetVault Backup is a comprehensive backup and recovery software solution that allows enterprises to protect data in diverse IT environments — all from one intuitive console. It’s scalable and supports multiple server and application platforms across your organization. A single, intuitive interface requires minimal experience, simplifying your data backup and recovery operations.
- Application protection
- Ensure the availability of all of your business-critical applications, including Oracle, SQL Server®, Exchange Server, SharePoint®, MySQL™, DB2®, PostgreSQL, Domino®, Informix, Sybase® and Teradata®. No scripting is required to run “hot” backup and recovery jobs.
- Virtualization support
- Extend advanced data protection to VMware® and Hyper-V® environments. NetVault Backup gives you consistent, reliable, point-and-click backup and restore for virtual environments without requiring you to be an expert.
- Network-attached storage (NAS) protection
- Get advanced data protection for information stored on NAS devices, including those made by Dell, EMC, Hitachi, IBM, NetApp and Sun. Reduce traffic over the LAN and maximize performance by backing up over the Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP). NetVault Backup supports many different storage topologies and configurations.
- Global data deduplication
- NetVault integrates seamlessly with the Dell DR Series of deduplication appliances, enabling you to take full advantage of the appliances’ powerful deduplication, compression and replication capabilities. Shrink backup windows and improve restore times, use source-side deduplication to reduce network traffic and efficiently send copies of your backup data offsite for disaster recovery.
- Enterprise-wide control
- Use NetVault’s Web-based user interface to configure, manage, and monitor your backup and recovery operations. Convenient wizards guide you through the common tasks, such as creating backup jobs, assigning policies, configuring storage devices, and generating reports.
- Strong security
- Meet regulatory requirements without sacrificing backup windows or deduplication performance with an encryption plug-in for CAST-128, AES-256 or CAST-256 algorithm support. Flexible job-level encryption lets you easily select which data to encrypt.
- Back up to disk and tape
- NetVault Backup supports disk- and tape-based backup to a wide range of storage targets, including disk-based devices, tape libraries, and third-party deduplication appliances. You’ll also have the power to move data from one storage target to another for disaster recovery purposes.
- Flexible storage attachment
- Avoid data transfers over the network by attaching a target storage device directly to a source server. With LAN-free backups, you can easily distribute the workload throughout the backup domain.
- Simple, straightforward licensing
- NetVault Backup can be licensed by capacity or by component, giving you incredible flexibility. With component- based licensing, you can pick and choose which modules you need. You can also license NetVault by capacity and deploy an unlimited number of clients or application plug-ins. Dell offers two capacity-based licensing editions for NetVault Backup: One offers great value for growing businesses; the other offers comprehensive protection for larger enterprises.
NetVault Backup has extensive platform support for all major operating systems (physical and virtual) and processor architectures.
NetVault Server software — the main component of a NetVault deployment runs on Windows or Linux.
NetVault Clients are installed on every machine you wish to protect. NetVault Backup supports the following operating systems:
- Mac OS X
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for VMware leverages the VMware vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP), allowing you to restore complete virtual machine images or individual files faster and more reliably. An intuitive, easy-to-use GUI gives you a single, centralized console to configure backup and restore policies for your virtual environments.
- Microsoft Hyper-V
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Microsoft Hyper-V allows you to restore complete virtual machine images or individual Windows-based files faster and more reliably. An intuitive, easy-to-use GUI gives you a single, centralized console to configure backup and restore policies for your virtual environments.
- Xen and KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machines)
NetVault Backup can protect file systems and application data within Xen and KVM virtual environments by installing the appropriate clients and application plug-ins
Application plug-ins complement the native solution, helping you save time on integration. While supported for increased flexibility, no scripting is required to run backup and recovery jobs.
Message & Collaboration
- Microsoft Exchange Server
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Exchange gives you granular control to restore complete information stores, individual storage groups, or individual databases. Through automatic integration with a wide range of backup devices, the plug-in gives you the confidence that recovery data is protected and stored offsite to ensure business continuity.
Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange provides comprehensive support for granular recoveries down to the object level including individual mailboxes, messages and attachments.
- Microsoft SharePoint
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for SharePoint offers granular control that minimizes downtime by allowing you to restore complete farms, individual web applications or individual content databases. Through automatic integration with a wide range of backup devices, SharePoint data is protected and safely stored off-site to meet your disaster recovery and business continuity goals.
- IBM Lotus Domino Server
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Domino ensures continuous availability by providing fast online backup and recovery of Lotus Domino environments. Support for full and incremental backups gives you the flexibility to choose the preferred backup method, and granular control minimizes downtime by allowing you to restore the Lotus Domino Server Databases or individual user mailboxes quickly and reliably.
- Microsoft SQL Server
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server provides increased application availability via fast, online backup of SQL databases in Windows environments. Features include hot backup, a variety of backup methods to choose from and advanced logging capabilities.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for MySQL consolidates the backup and recovery of multiple MySQL storage engines into a single job without complex scripting. In addition to performing full, incremental or differential MySQL backups while data is online and accessible, the plug-in offers improved point-in-time functionality to perform more granular restores – which lets you restore to a precise point, and therefore significantly reduce data loss. The plug-in supports MySQL databases running in Windows and Linux environments.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Oracle provides increased application availability via fast, online backup of Oracle databases in UNIX, Linux and Windows environments. The plug-in is designed to speed up restores while maximizing IT staff efficiency through flexible backup and recovery options. In addition, the plug-in supports important Oracle features such as Oracle RAC, Data Guard, Automated Storage Management (ASM), Flashback Database and Transparent Data Encryption and offers users advanced backup and recovery options in case of hardware failure or data loss.
- IBM DB2
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for DB2 increased application availability via fast, online backup of DB2 databases in UNIX, Linux and Windows environments. Features include online backup and multi-instance support using multiple backup modes such as full, incremental and delta backups, as well as backups of the transaction logs. The plug-in also supports granular restores of an entire tablespace, archive logs or an individual tablespace.
- IBM Informix Dynamic Server
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Informix increases application availability via fast, online backup of Informix databases in UNIX, Linux and Windows environments using native application interfaces. Major features include: multiple residency support; level 1 and 2 incremental backups and flexible operations that allow administrators to back up the whole system, individual data spaces or Informix binary large object ("BLOB") spaces and logical logs.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for PostgreSQL offers a simple and easy way to perform routine backups for one or more PostgreSQL database in Solaris, Linux, and Windows environments. The plug-in provides support for database cluster backups, individual database and table backups in different backup formats, such as plain-text SQL script, TAR archive, and custom archive formats. The plug-in also offers granular control over restores and minimizes downtime by allowing you to restore an entire database cluster, individual databases, or individual tables more reliably.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for SAP R/3 increases application availability by providing fast, online backup of SAP R/3 databases in Linux, UNIX, and Windows environments. This plug-in supports such important features as hot backup, integration with SAP R/3 tools, parallel backup support, and selectable backup operations.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Sybase provides increased application availability via fast, online backup of Sybase databases in UNIX, Linux and Windows environments. Features include hot backup, support for multiple database servers on a single machine, advanced logging capabilities and a low-level backup API for maximized throughput.
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for Teradata provides high performance backup and recovery capabilities while allowing NCR Teradata warehousing environments to remain online. The plug-in supports Teradata databases in UNIX, Linux, and Windows environments.
Storage Device & Additional Options
NetVault Backup is extremely flexible, allowing you to pick the right options to match your unique environment and recovery objectives.
- Bare Metal Recovery
NetVault Backup’s bare metal recovery (BMR) option allows you to perform image-level backups, so you can quickly get a server up and running again after a catastrophic failure – even when there is no functioning operating system.
- Disk-to-Disk Backup and Deduplication
NetVault Backup integrates with the Dell DR family of disk backup appliances. Rapid Data Access technology delivers tight integration between NetVault and the DR4100 for significantly faster backup and restore rates. Customers using the solution can now transfer backup data up to three times faster.
NetVault SmartDisk delivers disk-to-disk backup and data deduplication that significantly reduces the storage costs associated with your data protection strategy. It uses powerful, byte-level, variable block deduplication, and advanced data compression that packs more protected data in the same storage area than competing solutions.
Meet regulatory requirements and protect data while being transported and stored offsite without sacrificing backup windows or deduplication performance with an encryption plug-in module. NetVault Backup supports CAST-128, AES-256 or CAST-256 algorithms. You can easily select how and which data to encrypt using either the standard or advanced data encryption plug-in options.
- Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP)
The NetVault Backup Plug-in for NDMP is an advanced data protection solution for information stored in NAS devices running NDMP. It provides you with optimal operating efficiency and minimal impact to users while reducing your NDMP-based network storage backup window. The plug-in supports all five NDMP data transfer methods and provides support for advanced NDMP features such as browsable volume, and Direct Access Restore (DAR) support
- NetApp NAS Support
Dell has years of experience supporting vital supplementary NetApp solutions with an optional NetApp bundle that includes:
- SnapMirror® to Tape – Working in conjunction with the NetApp's SnapMirror technology, NetVault's SnapMirror to Tape enables full volumes on filers to be mirrored and backed up to tape to lower overall data protection costs and provide the ability to store data offsite for improved disaster recovery support.
- SnapVault® Manager – SnapVault Manager provides a graphical interface that is integrated with NetVault Backup to provide a single point of enterprise-wide control and improve the management of NetApp's SnapVault solution. This allows you to back up changed data from multiple storage platforms to a common Snapshot target on NetApp appliances, enabling faster tapeless restores.
- Snapshot™ Manager – The NetVault® NDMP Snapshot Manager allows you to generate, automatically schedule and recover snapshots through NetVault's GUI – a key factor in simplifying NetApp Filer snapshot management as part of your overall data protection strategy.
- Chinese (Simplified)
- US English
Netvault Backup videos
NetVault Backup 10
Streamline backup and recovery, and reduce operating expenses with NetVault Backup 10, a major leap forward in usability, performance and scalability.
Improvements to usability — A new web-based user interface allows you to easily configure, manage, and monitor your NetVault Backup system. You can access the NetVault WebUI from any standard browser. You can use the NetVault WebUI to perform various tasks such as:
- Manage clients, storage devices, and storage media
- Perform backups and restores
- Monitor jobs, device activities, and logs
- Set up notifications
- Generate and view reports
Faster performance and greater scalability — A new backend database offers three times the scalability. One NetVault Backup server can now protect 1,000 clients. What’s more, optimizations in the scheduler and media manager algorithms greatly improve its responsiveness.
You can also benefit from even greater performance and scalability when combining NetVault Backup 10 with the Dell DR6000 deduplication appliance. The Dell DR6000 provides up to 180TB of usable storage capacity — 220 percent more than the 81TB offered by the DR4100, its mid-market counterpart. And it supports 4TB drives, and up to four expansion shelves. Using the DR Operating System v3.0 with Rapid Data Access (RDA), NetVault Backup can achieve backup speeds up to 22TB/hr. RDA allows NetVault Backup to provide organizations with client-side deduplication and optimized replication.