Simplifies restoration from an Active Directory forest disaster
Recover Active Directory forest configuration and data with ease.
Quickly restore your entire domain or AD forest in the event of a major disaster or AD corruption. Forest Edition greatly reduces downtime by selecting unaffected backups and then quarantining the damaged environment. The steps required to facilitate the recovery are automated, saving your organization lost productivity and revenue.
Requirements for recovering a domain or forest are simplified by leveraging the backups from Recovery Manager for Active Directory. You also have the option to restore some DCs from backup and others through demoting and re-promoting them with DCPromo, which aligns closely with Microsoft’s native forest recovery approach.
- Automation – Automates forest recovery steps from a single console, including the ability to quarantine infected domain controllers, reset DSRM passwords, simultaneously restore/recover domain controllers, and automate other configuration tasks like setting the FSMO roles, raising the RID pool, DNS, etc.
- Flexible recovery pacing – Creates pauses to suspend the recovery process at any time during the forest recovery.
- Online delegated granular restore – Restores directory objects without restarting domain controllers.
- Comparison reporting – Highlights changes made to the directory data since the last backup by using reports that compare the online state of AD with its backup. You can also make comparisons between different backups. If you’re running ChangeAuditor, the comparison reports will also let you know who made the changes. Deleted or changed objects, including attributes, are displayed in reports.
- Comprehensive recovery options – Enables you to restore any object in AD, including users, groups, organizational units (OUs), computers, subnets, sites, configuration, Exchange storage groups and Group Policy Objects (GPOs).
- Attribute-level restore – Even when the object itself has not been deleted, you can still restore individual attributes, such as account settings, group memberships and binary attributes. This enables you to restore only the required attributes without affecting other attributes.
- Remote quarantine – Allows you to automatically and remotely quarantine corrupt domain controllers so they won’t replicate with the newly restored environment.
- Recovery planning – Generates a detailed recovery process roadmap. This overview of every recovery stage and operation allows you to gain a better understanding and more control of every aspect of the process.
- Simultaneous system recovery – Restores domain controllers in your domain or forest simultaneously from one central console. This eliminates the need to manually interface with each domain controller separately, saving a significant amount of time and effort.
- AD management and health – Validates the health of Active Directory for warning signs of possible AD issues before they become disasters, including DC accessibility, replication, trusts and user authentication. Resets DSRM admin password and manages FSMO roles, GCs and DNS.
- Virtual lab environment – Builds a separate virtual forest test lab with production data to test forest disaster scenarios and safely perform testing prior to making changes in the production domain or forest.
- Consolidated backups – Speeds your time to resolution by enabling you to consolidate backups created by different Recovery Manager Console instances.
- Diagnostic data collection – Enables you to collect diagnostic data from all domain controllers in your recovery project by using the Forest Recovery Console as a central location. You no longer have to interface with each domain controller individually to collect logs and other AD data in order to determine the cause of a recovery failure or determine why Active Directory is not functioning properly.
Before installing Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Processor||Minimum: 1.4 GHz
Recommended: 2.0 GHz or faster
|Minimum: 1 Gb
Recommended: 2 Gb
These figures apply only if the Active Directory domains managed by Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition include 1 million objects or less.
|Hard Disk Space|
Full installation including the prerequisite software: 1.5 2.0 GB of free
Full installation including the prerequisite software: 2.7 GB of free disk
In case all the prerequisite software is already installed: 210 MB of free
Note: Additional storage space is required for a backup repository, at least the size of the backed-up Active Directory database file (Ntds.dit) and the SYSVOL folder plus 40MB for the transaction log files.
|Display||SVGA at 1024 x 768 or higher|
Targets for backup, restore, or compare operations
|Microsoft .NET Framework||Your computer must have all of the following versions installed:
|Microsoft SQL Server and Its Components||Microsoft SQL Server |
One of the following versions is required:
Microsoft SQL Server components
All of the following components are required:
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
To display reports, Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition can integrate with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SRSS) 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2014.
|Microsoft Windows PowerShell||Microsoft Windows PowerShell version 4.0, 3.0 or 2.0|
|Microsoft Windows Installer||Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5|
|Microsoft Management Console||Microsoft Management Console 3.0|
|Integration with ChangeAuditor|
for Active Directory
|To provide information on who modified particular Active Directory objects, Recovery Manager for Active Directory can integrate with the following versions of ChangeAuditor for Active Directory: 5.6, 5.5, 5.1, 5.0, 4.9, 4.8, 4.7, 4.6, and 4.5.|
If any prerequisite software is not installed, the Setup program automatically installs it for you before installing Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition. If the prerequisite software to be installed is not included in this release package, it is automatically downloaded.
Forest Recovery Agent
Before installing Forest Recovery Agent on a domain controller, ensure the domain controller meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Processor||450 MHz or faster|
( overall RAM)
|256 MB (1 GB recommended)|
|Hard Disk Space||x86 system: 850 MB or more|
x64 system: 2 GB or more
|Display||50 MB or more|
|Operating System||One of the following operating systems:
|Prerequisite Software||Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 or later must be installed.|
Active Directory Virtual Lab
|Supported virtualization infrastructure||Requirements|
|Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012|
without Service Pack or with Service Pack 1
|Software that must be installed on the Active Directory Virtual Lab computer:
|VMware vCenter/ESX Server 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5|
Recovery Manager Portal
|Processor||1 GHz or faster|
|512 MB or more|
|Hard Disk Space||x86 system: 850 Mb or more|
x64 system: 2 Gb or more
|Monitor||SVGA at 1024 x 768 or higher|
|Operating System||Installation |
You can install the Recovery Manager Portal on a computer running one of the following operating systems (both x86 and x64 platforms are supported):
|Web Browser||To access the Recovery Manager Portal, you can use Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or higher.|
|Microsoft .NET Framework||Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5|
|Microsoft Internet Information Server|
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 8.5, 8.0, 7.5, or 7.0.
|Microsoft SQL Server and its components|
Microsoft SQL Server versionsOne of the following versions is required:
Required Microsoft SQL Server componentsAll of the following components are required:
Forest Recovery Console
Recovery Manager provides a central console to manage your entire forest recovery.
Check Forest Health
Validate the health of your Active Directory forest and manage domain settings.
Active Directory Virtual Lab
Create a virtual lab using production data with the Active Directory Virtual Lab wizard.
Active Directory Virtual Lab
The Active Directory Virtual Lab wizard utilizes existing third-party virtualization software.