Database capacity optimization in Oracle databases
Deliver capacity optimization, Oracle reorganization and peak performance with ease.
Space Manager with LiveReorg™ enables you to reorganize Oracle data, optimize I/O performance, and maximize database capacity. You can prevent application and database downtime by performing online Oracle reorganizations to reclaim space. The Oracle partitioning tool also allows you to resolve performance issues due to fragmentation when archiving Oracle data. You’ll find this especially useful for business-critical ERP applications, such as Oracle e-Business Suite, Siebel and SAP, where high-transaction volumes require you to routinely archive data.
Oracle reorganization and space reclamation
- Reorganizes data to reclaim your wasted space and optimize your database capacity and performance on archived tables, eliminating the need to buy additional disk space.
- Prevents your organization from experiencing application and database downtime by performing online reorganizations.
- Determines indexes and tables to reorganize data. Enables you to perform proactive analysis and planning by reclaiming maximum space and tracking historical reorganization activity.
- Supports multiple datatypes and objects for standard and live reorgs, including individual partitions, domain indexes, user-defined datatypes, and tables with both LOB datatypes and LONG columns.
- Automatically resumes script execution from point of failure or clean up of residual objects by providing restart and clean-up capabilities for failed reorganization scripts.
Database capacity optimization
- Using simple charts, easily view existing space usage and future growth in databases that use the same storage resources.
- Estimate your organization’s future storage needs based on detailed trend charts showing historical growth rates, as well as hypothetical “what if” scenarios.
- Quickly determine where to utilize space more efficiently with alerts on emerging issues, such as limited free space or space reclamation opportunities.
- Use a built-in partitioning wizard to minimize downtime by partitioning objects live, while users and applications remain online.
- Partition, repartition, and remove/add/modify partitions to identify best fit for data access to data.
- Confirm that you have sufficient space available to ensure reorg success with multiple automatic space-check audits.
Before installing Space Manager and Capacity Manager, ensure that your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements.
Requirements for the client computer
The Space Manager and Capacity Manager clients must be installed on the same computer, and their requirements are the same unless otherwise specified. The computer must meet the following requirements:
Supported by both Space Manager and Capacity Manager:
Space Manager also supports Oracle Net 8.1.7. Capacity Manager also supports Instant Client.
Supported by both Space Manager and Capacity Manager:
|Processor||Pentium IV Processor|
|Memory||512 MB of RAM minimum; 1 GB recommended|
|Display settings||A resolution of 1024 x 768; true color or high color; small fonts|
Space Manager: Approximately 600 MB
Capacity Manager: Approximately 13 MB
|.NET Framework||Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0|
Requirements for databases
Each database being managed with Space Manager must meet the following requirements:
Supported by both Capacity and Space Manager:
Note: Space Manager supports Oracle Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition databases.
|Database server operating system|
Space Manager supports the following operating systems:
Note: When using Oracle 11.1 or earlier on 64-bit systems, the installing user must be configured to use the Oracle 32-bit client libraries. For Oracle 11.2 or later on 64-bit systems, the installing user can use the Oracle 64-bit client libraries.
Disk-space requirements are:
Space Manager: DBMS_SQL, DBMS_PIPE, DBMS_LOCK, DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN
QSA: DBMS_SQL, DBMS_PIPE, DBMS_OUTPUT, DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
Find Long LONGs feature: UTL_RAW
Email notifications: UTL_SMTP
|Oracle's partitioning option|
Required for the Online Switch (a feature available for live reorganizations) and the Partitioning Wizard; Partitioning Option must be installed and licensed.
Required for XMLType datatypes.
Requirements for the Capacity Manager epository
The database used for the Capacity Manager repository must meet the following requirements:
Supported for the repository:
8 MB recommended per monitored database assigned to a repository (accommodates one year of growth in repository objects)
One of the following schedules is needed for snapshot jobs, report scheduling, and Windows scheduling:
|Oracle initialization parameters|
Oracle initialization parameters should be set as follows:
Must be a superset of the character sets for all monitored databases. A UTF8 character set is recommended.
Light activity level.
- US English
Space manager with LiveReorg videos
- Product Demo
Space Manager with LiveReorg Product Demo
Datafile map’s segment-type view
See where data and segments with blocking extents are. Identify a reorganization candidate and launch the reorg manager directly from the datafile map.
Datafile map’s reorg-need view
Easily see which segments need reorganization. Change the threshold values indicating reorg need severity to match your organization’s requirements. Use the information in the segments-with-blocking-extents panel for datafile-level space reclamation opportunities.
Easily view multiple databases and their tablespaces. Quickly view space distribution, database statistics, and a list of space-related issues for each database. Launch reorg manager directly from the list to address an issue.
Quickly view segment lists and statistics for each tablespace. Easily determine which segments have the greatest reorg need per tablespace.
Easily navigate between database, tablespace, datafile, segment, and schema information.
Space Manager provides several reports to help you quickly identify reorganization candidates and plan future capacity.
Largest segments by tablespace report
Identify the largest segments in each tablespace.
Monitor reorg script execution. Easily view the script and log file for each table in a single or multi-table (script group) reorganization.