When you can diagnose SQL Server performance issues quickly and accurately, ensuring a healthy database infrastructure is not just possible, but easy. Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise delivers simplicity without compromise by providing unmatched monitoring, diagnosis and optimization of your SQL Server environments, ensuring peak performance around the clock. With intuitive overviews of enterprise health and performance, automated alerts and actions, an integrated Xpert tuning module and mobile device support, Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise makes it easier than ever to obtain the data you need to ensure the health of your SQL Server databases.
- 24 x 7 monitoring and diagnostics
- Establish around-the-clock agentless monitoring from a centralized diagnostic server for a single view across multiple clients, with alarms and notifications when performance deviates from pre-set operating thresholds.
- Simplicity without compromise
- Install quickly and easily with a highly intuitive user interface and Heatmap to access powerful capabilities for instant prioritization of critical needs. Minimize business disruption by effectively allocating resources and responding to the most pressing issues.
- Powerful root cause analysis
- Create multiple diagnostic workflows, including detailed wait state/workload analysis and deadlock detection, with over 70 diagnostic drilldowns. Correctly recognize the symptoms to correctly deal with the root cause of any diagnostic challenge.
- End-to-end monitoring
- Monitor everything that affects your SQL Server performance including SQL Server itself, the underlying operating system, its VM Layer, SQL Azure, High Availability, Replication and Analysis Services – all available in one package for one price.
- Never miss a beat with playback and mobile
- Rewind your diagnostic dashboards and drill downs to any point in time or issue over the previous two weeks. Monitor your SQL Server environment anywhere, anytime and run SQL Server diagnostics directly from your mobile phone.
- Multi-dimensional analysis
- Analyze workload elements and wait stats by database, application, user, host or SQL statement. Establish top SQL. Drill down to determine the biggest contributors to the SQL Server workload.
- Get the complete picture
- Take advantage of context-specific dashboards and drill downs for the SQL Server instance, the underlying operating system, the VM layer, replication, analysis services, SQL Azure and high availability.
- Customize for your environment
- Set custom thresholds or create counters specific to your environment. Create rule-based custom actions or define planned outages on a one-time or re-occurring basis.
- Tool of choice
- Integrate with enterprise monitoring or issue tracking systems. Use the SCOM management pack to easily integrate Spotlight as the tool of choice for your SQL Server needs.
- SQL analysis and Xpert tuning
- Utilize the integration with SQL Optimizer to highlight long-running queries and sub-optimal code. Immediately tune, benchmark and investigate indexing strategies.
- Historical trending and reporting
- Understand the health, activity, and capacity trends of your SQL Server environment with integrated management and performance views and client-side reports.
- System Healthcheck and Collective Intelligence
- Obtain a holistic view of the health of your system and benchmark results with other users.
- Multi-dimensional workload analysisNEW in Version 11.0.0
- Builds on the success of the wait stat analysis workflow to provide maximum insight into performance issues.
- Spotlight mobileNEW in Version 11.0.0
- Lets you remotely diagnose issues directly from your mobile phone on the Spotlight mobile app for IOS, Android and Windows Mobile.
- SCOM management packNEW in Version 11.0.0
- Enables Microsoft SCOM users to leverage Spotlight on SQL Server for their monitoring and diagnostic needs.
- Simplified UI navigationNEW in Version 11.0.0
- Offers a new look with simple-to-use, powerful visualization to effectively monitor the health of your SQL Server environment.
Before installing the Spotlight client, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Platform||1 GHz Processor|
|Memory||1 GB RAM recommended|
|Hard disk space||200 MB|
This space should exist on a local disk drive rather than a network drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
|Other requirements||CD-ROM drive or Internet connection (required for installation only).|
A monitor capable of supporting a resolution of 1280 x1024 or greater
Before installing the Diagnostic Server, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Platform||2 GHz Dual Core Processor|
|Memory||4 GB RAM|
|Hard disk space||300 MB|
If the Diagnostic Server’s connection to the Spotlight Statistics Repository or playback database is interrupted, the Diagnostic Server will cache data to the local disk. In this event, an extra 2 MB per hour, per monitored server is required.
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)|
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit)
|Additional software||.NET 3.5 or later must be installed on the Diagnostic Server machine.|
|SQL Server Client Tools|
To use the Discovery Wizard to locate SQL Servers on your network the SQL Server Client Tools must be installed on the Diagnostic Server. The SQL Server Client Tools are on the installation disk for Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008.
To use Spotlight on Analysis Services the Client Connectivity tools must be installed.
|SQL Server Management Tools|
To use Spotlight on Analysis Services, Spotlight on SQL Server Replication, and Session Trace and SQL Analysis in Spotlight on SQL Server, SQL Server Management Tools must be installed on the Diagnostic Server.
The SQL Server Management Tools are available from any SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 edition except SQL Server Express and SQL Server Compact. The version required corresponds to the latest version of SQL Server that you are monitoring. Note, if you are monitoring SQL Server 2000 servers, you need the Management Tools from SQL Server 2005.
|SQL Server||Spotlight can diagnose SQL Server instances of the following versions:
Spotlight cannot diagnose earlier versions of SQL Server (version 7.x and earlier).
Spotlight supports all SQL Server sort orders, including case-sensitive and binary sort orders. Spotlight cannot connect to SQL Server instances where the instance name contains non-US ASCII characters.
|Database Cloud service||Spotlight supports SQL Azure.|
|Operating systems||Spotlight can diagnose the following operating systems:
|Virtualization||Spotlight on SQL Server can monitor virtual guest machines in a VMware ESX infrastructure. The following versions are supported:
|Connection limit||This version of Spotlight on SQL Server is designed to monitor a maximum of 200 connections per diagnostic server in a 64 bit environment. A connection can include a SQL Server, Analysis Services, Azure connection, Replication instances or Windows servers. Monitoring more than this recommended limit may result in poor performance or product instability.|
Spotlight Statistics Repository
Before installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository, ensure your system meets the following minimum requirements:
|Database sizing||By default, the size of the Spotlight Statistics Repository is set to 1000MB (data size) and 250MB (log size). These sizes are flexible and can be changed by running the Spotlight Statistics Repository creation script.|
The script is located in the install directory as follows:
|Hard disk space||Approximately 1.2 GB for each monitored SQL Server instance and the corresponding monitored Windows host on which the SQL Server instance resides. This estimate assumes default configuration in an average environment. Actual space used will depend on your environment and any data collection/storage configuration changes that are made. For more information, see the Spotlight on SQL Server Sizing Wizard. You can access the wizard from the Spotlight Installation Center. To use Spotlight Reporting and Trending, it is recommended that the Spotlight Statistics Repository is installed on SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2012.|
|Recommended SQL Server version||Installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository on SQL Server 2000 can result in errors being displayed and no data being shown in some views. Installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository on SQL Server 2000 is not recommended.|
Note: Due to the size of the Spotlight Statistics Repository, it is recommended that this database is not installed on a SQL Express instance.
The SQL Browser service must be running on the machine where the Spotlight Statistics Repository is installed. Alternatively you can use the host and port number of the (named) SQL Server instance you want to connect to, when creating a connection and connecting to the Spotlight Statistics Repository.
The TCP protocol must be enabled on the instance where the Spotlight Statistics Repository resides.
For more information, see the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide
|Maintenance||It is highly recommended that regular maintenance is performed on the Spotlight Statistics Repository. The recommended maintenance plan is outlined in the online help and in the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide.|
Before installing the playback database, ensure your system meets the following minimum requirements:
|Database sizing||By default, the size of the playback database is set to 500MB (data size) and 125MB (log size).|
|Hard disk space|
Requires approximately 270 MB for each monitored SQL Server instance and the corresponding monitored Windows host on which the SQL Server instance resides.
Retains 7 days of historical data for each connection in the playback database by default. This is configurable.
Assumes default configuration in an average environment. Actual space used will depend on your environment and any data collection/storage configuration changes that are made. For more information see the Spotlight on SQL Server Sizing Wizard. You can access the wizard from the Spotlight Installation Center
|Recommended SQL Server version||Due to the size of the playback database, it is recommended that this database is not installed on a SQL Express instance.|
The SQL Browser service must be running on the machine where the playback database is installed. Alternatively you can use the host and port number of the (named) SQL Server instance you want to connect to, when creating a connection and connecting to the playback database.
The TCP protocol must be enabled on the instance where the playback database resides.
|Maintenance||It is highly recommended that regular maintenance is performed on the playback database. The recommended maintenance plan is outlined in the online help and in the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide.|