When you can diagnose SQL Server performance issues quickly and accurately, ensuring a healthy database infrastructure is not just possible, but easy. Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise provides you with unmatched SQL Server monitoring, diagnosis and optimization of your database environments to ensure peak performance around the clock. With intuitive overviews of enterprise health and performance, automated alerts and actions, an integrated Xpert tuning module and mobile device support, Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise makes it easier than ever to obtain the data you need to ensure the health of your SQL Server databases.
- VMware memory diagnostics
- Analyze virtual memory with charts that are similar to those used for virtual CPU analysis
- Top SQL and real-time query plans
- Pinpoint critical SQL statements based on index utilization, resource consumption, or query efficiency, and review run-time query plans
- High-availability support
- Get in-depth information on your SQL Server clusters, replication, database mirroring, and log-shipping activities and environments
- Diagnostic drilldowns
- Automate CPU and I/O performance diagnosis and resolution
- Custom performance counters
- Track and alarm on service level-specific processes as though they were metric counters to proactively handle performance issues
- Historical playback
- Navigate through up to two weeks of performance diagnostics and alarm data to resolve recent performance issues from any Spotlight management screen
- Custom reporting and trending
- Understand health, activity, and capacity trends of your SQL Server enterprise with management and performance views, client-side reports, and the Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise Report Pack
- SQL analysis and Xpert tuning
- Highlight long-running queries and bad code, then tune. Benchmark, and investigate indexing strategies through integration with Dell™ SQL Optimizer for SQL Server (comes with Spotlight on SQL Server Xpert)
- Spotlight statistics repository
- Configure long-term metric data storage for historical trending and capacity planning initiatives
- Wait-stat analysis
- Diagnose wait statistics to determine where waits are occurring and what’s causing the event
- Deadlock detection and review
- Gain full visibility of deadlock events and the conditions that caused them
- Windows-only connections views
- Add Windows-only connections to Spotlight’s views
- System health check with powerful analytics
- Obtain a holistic view of the health of your system with the free health check tool and compare your experience with other users, then drill down and view detail at a granular level. Access reports via the instance and database lists and receive trigger notifications in your account inbox
- Detailed trending of most expensive queries
- Display the top ten most expensive queries, by totals and averages of reads, writes, duration or CPU, then filter results to provide a detail page containing a trending chart, full query, and the latest execution plan (downloadable as XML)
- Mobile device support
- Go mobile to monitor your SQL Server environment anywhere, anytime on your mobile device. Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise gives you the ability, but with Spotlight Express, a free option, you’ve got the mobility to view, get alerts and respond from anywhere, at any time.
Before installing the Spotlight client, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Platform||1 GHz Processor|
|Memory||1 GB RAM recommended|
|Hard disk space||200 MB|
This space should exist on a local disk drive rather than a network drive
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit)
|Other requirements||CD-ROM drive or Internet connection (required for installation only).|
A monitor capable of supporting a resolution of 1280 x1024 or greater
Before installing the Diagnostic Server, ensure your system meets the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
|Platform||2 GHz Dual Core Processor|
|Memory||4 GB RAM|
|Hard disk space||300 MB|
If the Diagnostic Server’s connection to the Spotlight Statistics Repository or playback database is interrupted, the Diagnostic Server will cache data to the local disk. In this event, an extra 2 MB per hour, per monitored server is required.
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later (32-bit and 64-bit)|
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
|Additional software||.NET 3.5 or later must be installed on the Diagnostic Server machine.|
|SQL Server Client Tools|
To use the Discovery Wizard to locate SQL Servers on your network the SQL Server Client Tools must be installed on the Diagnostic Server. The SQL Server Client Tools are on the installation disk for Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008.
To use Spotlight on Analysis Services the Client Connectivity tools must be installed.
|SQL Server Management Tools|
To use Spotlight on Analysis Services, Spotlight on SQL Server Replication, and Session Trace and SQL Analysis in Spotlight on SQL Server, SQL Server Management Tools must be installed on the Diagnostic Server.
The SQL Server Management Tools are available from any SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 edition except SQL Server Express and SQL Server Compact. The version required corresponds to the latest version of SQL Server that you are monitoring. Note, if you are monitoring SQL Server 2000 servers, you need the Management Tools from SQL Server 2005.
|SQL Server||Spotlight can diagnose SQL Server instances of the following versions:
Spotlight cannot diagnose earlier versions of SQL Server (version 7.x and earlier).
Spotlight supports all SQL Server sort orders, including case-sensitive and binary sort orders. Spotlight cannot connect to SQL Server instances where the instance name contains non-US ASCII characters.
|Database Cloud service||Spotlight supports SQL Azure.|
|Operating systems||Spotlight can diagnose the following operating systems:
|Virtualization||Spotlight on SQL Server can monitor virtual guest machines in a VMware ESX infrastructure. The following versions are supported:
|Connection limit||This version of Spotlight on SQL Server is designed to monitor a maximum of 100 SQL Server, Analysis Services, or Replication instances and 100 Windows servers. Monitoring more than this recommended limit may result in poor performance or product instability.|
Spotlight Statistics Repository
Before installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository, ensure your system meets the following minimum requirements:
|Database sizing||By default, the size of the Spotlight Statistics Repository is set to 1000MB (data size) and 250MB (log size). These sizes are flexible and can be changed by running the Spotlight Statistics Repository creation script.|
The script is located in the install directory as follows:
|Hard disk space||Approximately 1.2 GB for each monitored SQL Server instance and the corresponding monitored Windows host on which the SQL Server instance resides. This estimate assumes default configuration in an average environment. Actual space used will depend on your environment and any data collection/storage configuration changes that are made. For more information, see the Spotlight on SQL Server Sizing Wizard. You can access the wizard from the Spotlight Installation Center. To use Spotlight Reporting and Trending, it is recommended that the Spotlight Statistics Repository is installed on SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2012.|
|Recommended SQL Server version||Installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository on SQL Server 2000 can result in errors being displayed and no data being shown in some views. Installing the Spotlight Statistics Repository on SQL Server 2000 is not recommended.|
Note: Due to the size of the Spotlight Statistics Repository, it is recommended that this database is not installed on a SQL Express instance.
The SQL Browser service must be running on the machine where the Spotlight Statistics Repository is installed. Alternatively you can use the host and port number of the (named) SQL Server instance you want to connect to, when creating a connection and connecting to the Spotlight Statistics Repository.
The TCP protocol must be enabled on the instance where the Spotlight Statistics Repository resides.
For more information, see the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide
|Maintenance||It is highly recommended that regular maintenance is performed on the Spotlight Statistics Repository. The recommended maintenance plan is outlined in the online help and in the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide.|
Before installing the playback database, ensure your system meets the following minimum requirements:
|Database sizing||By default, the size of the playback database is set to 500MB (data size) and 125MB (log size).|
|Hard disk space|
Requires approximately 270 MB for each monitored SQL Server instance and the corresponding monitored Windows host on which the SQL Server instance resides.
Retains 7 days of historical data for each connection in the playback database by default. This is configurable.
Assumes default configuration in an average environment. Actual space used will depend on your environment and any data collection/storage configuration changes that are made. For more information see the Spotlight on SQL Server Sizing Wizard. You can access the wizard from the Spotlight Installation Center
|Recommended SQL Server version||Due to the size of the playback database, it is recommended that this database is not installed on a SQL Express instance.|
The SQL Browser service must be running on the machine where the playback database is installed. Alternatively you can use the host and port number of the (named) SQL Server instance you want to connect to, when creating a connection and connecting to the playback database.
The TCP protocol must be enabled on the instance where the playback database resides.
|Maintenance||It is highly recommended that regular maintenance is performed on the playback database. The recommended maintenance plan is outlined in the online help and in the Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Guide.|
Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise videos
- Alarm actions editor to control when an action occurs
- Integration with LiteSpeed for SQL Server v7.1 and above
- Ability to monitor index fragmentation levels on SQL Server instances
- Mobile app — use Spotlight anytime, anywhere
- Free SQL system health checks with Spotlight Essentials