Develop, optimize, and validate
Improve code quality, performance, and maintainability with ease.
The approach begins with you as the developer on a project team. You have access to a version control system that enables team coding and simplifies code sharing. Through best practices, you can build code faster and cleaner, with fewer bugs, by employing the following steps:
- Prepare – Define the test and other criteria by which code will fully meet functional requirements
- Write and Compile – Build the code units according to pre-defined project coding standards
- Test Code – Use unit testing to identify gaps between functional requirements and code
- Debug – Use an advanced source code debugger to quickly and easily identify and fix problematic code
- Optimize SQL Statements – Scan code for problematic SQL statements that may cause serious performance bottlenecks and with one click, find the most efficient SQL alternative
Learn more about Quest SQL Optimizer for Oracle
The optimization process combines a quality review of all source code in the VCS repository, as well as a code scan to identify potential SQL performance issues. Once identified, problematic SQL statements are rewritten in various ways and the best one is returned to the source code.
As a development manager or team leader, you can schedule this entire process and produce a report, presented as a Code Review dashboard, which allows you to visualize code metrics and potential SQL performance problems for multiple programs. This Web-based report allows you and other key stakeholders to identify all project code that either performs well and is ready for validation or needs to be returned to development and fixed.
Once the code is tested and optimized, it is promoted to quality assurance. Before deploying applications into production, your quality assurance teams must perform testing that validates code for functionality using automated regression testing. They must also test for scalability under production-like conditions, which includes user load, to help ensure that code will perform optimally in production.
Toad Development Suite for Oracle reduces the impact of inefficient code on productivity, future development cycles and your bottom line.